I was browsing through YouTube this morning and somehow I searched on videos for "Australian Slang" and came across a few good ones. It taught me a lot of words that Australians use in their everyday life like "Servo" or "Service station", which is known as petrol station here in Malaysia, "Maccas", known as "McD" or McDonald's in Malaysia, and Aussies tend to use the word "I reckon", and "no worries" (I still use "I think" and "no problem" cause I'm Malaysian after all). There are a few other words, but I'm too lazy to mention about it.
I wouldn't say I've nailed the Australian accent, cause there are times I sound British, when I'm trying to put on my Australian accent. When I talk fast, I TOTALLY sound like a Malaysian. There are a few times when the customer asks me where I'm based in, and I told them I'm from Malaysia ... they'd be like "Oh you don't have a strong Malaysian accent" (I'm secretly really happy about that :P).
Yep, my dad paid for my one semester stint at a University in Aussieland and I guess the only good thing that came out from that is that I've learnt some Aussie Slang and accent (and maybe some Marketing, which I love, and Economics as well -.-).
I don't go and fake my Aussie accent, in fact I just have a mild Aussie accent whenever I'm taking to Australian, or New Zealander just so they understand what I'm talking about. I feel that when you go overboard with the accent, it's just an embarrassment, cause you don't speak like that on a daily basis.
For me, the way I speak English, depends on who I'm talking to. I don't put on an accent when I'm speaking to my friends, in fact, I just speak broken English, to make people feel more comfortable.
I pretty much hate it when people say that I'm good in English and stuff like that. I may be good, but there are people that are wayyyyy better than me. I have my dad to thank for that, cause he taught me well when it comes to English language.
So yea, I still have a lot to learn, and I think the best way to learn a language would be through songs, and maybe YouTube videos? (At least that works for me, it's a fun way to learn) and to expand your vocabulary, reading books are THE BEST! Not only you gain knowledge, but you will learn new words along the way.
Happy learning!!
No comments:
Post a Comment